My prayer for this blog is that it will create a sense of community with other fellow believers in Christ. Whether you do bible study, this one or another, or just want to read what I post, my hope is that you will grow closer to our Awesome, Amazing, God each day!!!

Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 3

Before I get started on day 3, I want to take the time to share some things that Steton Hayes preached on yesterday. I had never thought about it this way...so if it is new to you, allow God to reveal what He wants you to learn through His Word.
John 15:1-17 ( New Living Bible)
1 "I AM THE true Vine, and my Father is the Gardener. He lops off every branch that doesn't produce. And he prunes those branches that bear fruit for even larger crops. He has already tended you by pruning you back for greater strength and usefulness by means of the commands I gave you. Take care to live in me, and let me live in you. For a branch can't produce fruit when severed from the vine. Nor can you be fruitful apart from me.
5 Yes, I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in me and I in him shall produce a large crop of fruit. For apart from me you can't do a thing. If anyone separates from me, he is thrown away like a useless branch, withers, and is gathered into a pile with all the others and burned. But if you stay in me and obey my commands, you may ask any request you like and it will be granted! My true disciples produce bountiful harvests. This brings great glory to my Father.
9 I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Live within my love. When you obey me you are living in my love, just as I obey my Father and live in his love. I have told you this so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your cup of joy will overflow! I demand that you love one each other as much as I love you. And here is how to measure it-the greatest love is shown when a person lays down his life for his friends; and you are my friends if you obey me. I no longer call you slaves, for a master doesn't confide in his slaves; now you are my friends, proved by the fact that I have told you everything the Father told me.
16 You didn't choose me! I chose you! I appointed you to go and produce lovely fruit always, so that no matter what you ask for from the Father, using my name, he will give it to you. I demand you love each other..."

Have you ever thought about how a vine and branches are connected? A vine begins at the root, which I think symbolizes God the Father. Then from that we move up to the vine, which I think symbolizes Jesus Christ. And according to this scripture, we are the branches. One cannot function with the other. The root takes in and provides nutrients, which flows through the vine, to feed the branches. Steton said it somewhat like this. For a plant to produce, you have to have relations. If there is no relation, there will be no fruit. Just like with us humans, we cannot reproduce without having some type of relations. I know that is putting it blunt, but sometimes it is better to put it literal and understand than to beat around the bush and you not fully understand me. He goes on to say in verse 2 that he cuts off the branches that don't produce. I think of when you prune a plant and there are those branches that are old and drying out and sucking the life out of the plant, as those that he cuts off just as I would my plant. However, he goes on to prune the ones that are producing small fruit in order that they might produce larger fruit. And to know that He prunes us and gives us greater strength and usefulness in His commands, makes life a larger pleasure and joy to live. Then His commands do not seem as harsh, the stronger we are in Him, the more we want to become like Him and do His will. But then in verse 4 He says, "Take care to live in me, and let me live in you." He wants us to take care of ourselves and allow Him to be in us. If we care for those branches carefully and make sure they stay connected to the vine they thrive!!! Just as we can thrive in Christ by staying attached to Him, our vine. He later in verse 7 talks about how if we stay in Him and keep His commands, then you may request anything you like and it be granted. Does this mean that if I am sticking tight to my God and Christ that I can ask for a new house, boat, car, or etc. and receive it? Absolutely not!!! I agree totally with Steton on this one. The closer the branch is to the vine, the more like the the vine the branch becomes and we begin to desire the same things as God (our root) desires for us. How awesome is that?!!!
Steton also brought up a point that I don't feel like this translation leads to as much as the KJV. There are steps to growing closer to God. At first we are merely disciples. We go to church, we read our Bible, we obey most of His commands. Then we get that spark and desire to work and spread the Word. So we become servants of God. By serving Him, mind you we still are disciples, spreading the Word, and serving others with God's love. When you think of a servant, what comes to mind? Slavery, and how things were during those times. The master owned the slaves...and they were bound to him. What was the relationship with the master like? Did the master tell the slave all his business? Did he share with him his deepest desires and dreams? However most slaves were given a place to sleep, eat, and work. Just as the slaves were bound to their master so are we bound to ours. However, I know we got the better end of that deal!!! Our Master, (our root) gives us all our needs. So now we have gone from disciple, to servant, and finally we become a friend. Have you found that friend that you can tell all your secrets and will share theirs? If not, just know that Jesus is that friend. He said, He loved us as His Father has loved Him. When we live in His love then we want to obey and grow in Him. He also says that the greatest gift of all is when a friend will lay his life down for you. Do you have a friend like that? You sure do!!! Jesus laid His life down for you and for me! Just so He could call us disciple, servant, and most importantly friend.
I know I'm about to rabbit trial and may have done so up above. You know when you hang out with certain people you begin to think alike, do things alike, and science has proved you will actually start to look alike...LOL That may sound crazy, but if we can think like Jesus (our vine), do things like Jesus, and look like Jesus isn't that our goal?!?? I am sooooo looking forward to growing in Him and connecting on that level of vine and branch that I have talked about. I hope you are too!!! Be blessed and have a great week. I love you all, Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment